Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: GNU - OpenSource - CopyLeft - 'Free'

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Anyone familiar with these terms should realise that the 'struggling indie filmmaker' (undie/underground) could learn a lot from the methodologies of creating 'free' products that compete on every level with proprietry 'closed' solutions that are commercial.

    What OpenSource lacks IMHO at the moment is 'brand awareness' in the ranks of the great unwashed.

    Much like an average undie filmmaker.

    Do you see a crossover opportunity here, where the two communities could help each other out?

    ;-)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    process:

    Just what we are trying to do with
    exposure shorts. But it takes
    concentrated effort from the 'developers'
    so the 'users' can benefit.

    tools:

    There was a gnu project called Free
    Film project (or something like that).
    Where the idea was to make a suite of
    tools/stock footage/films etc all under
    the GPL. But, and this is purely my
    interpretation, it was too vague, trying
    to do too much, and not hitting the mark.
    If they stuck to doing the first step,
    say making a premiere/media studio type
    clone based on gimp they might have got
    a bit further. I hope I am wrong, I've
    not heard anything about this for a long
    time...

    fun,

    andy

  3. #3
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here are the links...
    http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri...309/index.html
    http://www.gnu.org/software/ffp/ffp.html

    Sadly, they've not changed for a while.

    Ho hum.

    If someone would buy me a house and food
    I'd happily write this software for the
    community, but alas, the world doesn't
    quite work like that...

    Oh yes, I'll just win the lottery then I'll
    write the software. Oh, I'd need to buy a
    ticket first. Darn.

    andy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •